Friday, September 23, 2011

Khao Sok

I forgot to mention our awesome overnight trip to Khao Sok...it was interesting. We took an overnight ferry and it was just a bunch of thin mattresses on the floor of a boat. It seemed creepy and the photo makes it look pretty bad but I think it has been mine and Steve's favorite overnight trip, we actually slept well, better than the train with the cockroaches!

Anyway, the jungle is really cool. Our first day we went for a walk and almost immediately after we left our resort we saw a bunch of wild monkeys! So cool. A lot of the trails we closed off to us because it is still their rainy season, but we got to walk along the river. The next day we went for another walk, in a downpour. It was actually kinda cool since rain is the basis of a rainforest anyway. The only problem was the leeches. There are land leeches there and they are pretty brutal. They climb up your shoes VERY quickly, especially if you stand still to try to get them off. Once you pick them off they attach to your thumb and you can't get them off. Yuck! I wasn't a fan. I got one and it drew blood after it attached where an ant bit me and didn't stop bleeding for awhile! It was weird.

We also did a lake day tour and it was so much fun! I asked steve today what his favorite thing is that we've done and he said the lake tour. It was really pretty, it's a lake that is man-made, the river was dammed and the area was flooded. We took a longtail boat out with a guide and 3 other couples. We were able to swim in the lake and eat lunch and then we went for the hike. I guess I should have brought some regular shoes but I didn't really know what we were going to do. We had about a 2 mile hike (through a leechy jungle) to get to a cave. Once at the cave we went in but it was a cave with water going through it and the water was so high we had to swim against the current for a long time! It was nuts. You could also hold onto a rope and pull yourself against the current to see a waterfall in the back. It was a really cool adventure that we didn't expect to have!

I really liked the jungle, the area was beautiful and the people who owned the resort were great. Ha I tried to wash some of my own clothes but NOTHING dries there and there are a million ants so they covered my clothes and actually ate dime-sized holes through my clothes! Yikes. But other than that it was so neat to be in a completely different environment!


No comments:

Post a Comment